Alablawg

Commentary on Alabama Law and Society

My Photo
Name:
Location: Birmingham, Alabama

Thursday, March 16, 2006

I Stand Corrected

I recently suggested that 'it would comfort our enemies/hurt our troops morale' is not an acceptable reason for our two senators to denounce Sen Feingold's censure resolution. On this topic, a respected and always insightful national publication disagrees:

take the other night when my husband and I were watching Leno. He cracked this wiseacre one-liner about the president, and it just busted Ted and me up. Then suddenly, we both trailed off and stared at each other in ominous silence. I'll admit the joke seemed harmless enough, but just imagine those poor soldiers, covered with the arid dust and sand of a foreign land, huddling for cover, engaging in pitched small-arms firefights with enemy insurgents on a daily basis. What would they think if they saw me sprawled out on the living-room sofa set, eating pretzels, cackling with irreverence at the expense of their commander in chief? . . . Maybe they're saying, "Who does this lady think she is? She doesn't know what she wants! Our morale is sapped! We're losing our will to fight!" America would be defeated by Iraq, and terrorists would rule over us.

So please, lets not critisize our dear leader anymore.

"Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic."