Alablawg

Commentary on Alabama Law and Society

My Photo
Name:
Location: Birmingham, Alabama

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Morning Inspiration

Check out Glen Greenwald today:

That's what the world of Bush followers looks like. Reporters should be thrown into prison. Citizens should be removed from political events for wearing political t-shirts. The President has the right to break the law for our own good. Politicians who criticize the Administration are traitors and should be imprisoned, or worse. And Supreme Court Justices should be impeached -- or worse. Does any of that sound like America to you?

And, oh - it's vital that we fight The Terrorists so that we don't lose our freedoms. And the principal objective our foreign policy is to run around teaching other countries how to be democratic and free.

Then watch this video.

The debate in this country is no longer over what we should do or not do; it is about who we are. "Give me liberty or give me death?" Or "Take my liberty so I'll be safe from the terrorists?" "A government of laws, not men?" Or "An all powerful leader to whom we dutifully submit?" "I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it?" Or "If you disagree with me you are aiding the enemy and must go to jail?" "It is better for ten guilty people to go free than for one innocent person to go to prison?" Or "One out of ten may be connected in some remote way to a terrorist, so its best to lock up all ten of them without trial, or even charges?" "With liberty and justice for all?" Or "With liberty and justice for those white heterosexuals who support the president?"

I am going to contact our senators today and tell them to support Sen. Feingold.