Alablawg

Commentary on Alabama Law and Society

My Photo
Name:
Location: Birmingham, Alabama

Friday, April 21, 2006

Two Of A Kind?

This morning I hear on the radio that in China the sounds of protesters and critics were censored from media reports of Chinese president Hu Jintao's visit with Dubya.

I am certain Dubya is jealous of that power. Don't agree? Read this, and this. Also don't forget that criticizing the president undermines the war effort. The only reason Dubya does not censor the press is because our laws prevent it. If he could, he would.

I am not saying he is a bloodthirsty dictator. I am just saying I would not trust him (or any person) with the power to regulate the press. The way the administration currently deals with critics makes me shudder to think how they would handle the opposition in the absence of the first amendment.